Thursday, April 30, 2009

All-Day K

Well, it's official, Avery and Andon will more than likely be going to all day kindergarten next year. Arizona has been in an amazing budget cut debate that it was completely on hold. One by one districts have been announcing that they will be keeping free all day k and Mesa finally announced that they were keeping it, too. When we had decided that enrolling in Sirrine we completely had God's hand in it and we put all faith and trust in HIM in whether it was going to be full or half day.

I came to terms with that before it was decided, however, I am completely torn on how I feel about this now! From teacher side, I know that all day k has it's benefits. Half day when I can be home with them does too! I think I'm struggling the most because once they start full time school, they will be on that journey until they are 17! Playdates, lunch dates, early morning zoo trips when it's not busy on the weekdays all are coming to an end as we know them now. Sure those things can happen, but are the kids ready for that? Am I ready for that?

I can see myself crying my eyes out as I say goodbye to them and drop them off that first day of school....geesh, I'm crying my eyes out now just thinking about it! Yes, I will be able to attend church staff meetings, lunch meetings, Mark and I will be able to fully train for cycling races, help lots in the classroom, and hey, I just may have regular hair nail and massage appointments at mom's salon but really, I'm not sure why I'm struggling so much!

Ok, enough about that....

Ok, enough abouy that...

2 comments:

Littau family said...

Emily loves all day kindergarten. But it did take a week or two for her to not be too tired. I know the teacher did a lot of rest times the first few weeks and that really helped. As far as helping in the classroom. Have no fear about that! If your school is anything like mine, they'll use you as much as you can!

Unknown said...

The hardest thing for me to get used to when Emily went into Kindergarten was vacations. No more going in October or February when travel is lighter and you can go without crowds to Disneyland, cruises, etc. You can't keep pulling them out of school for those trips so if we want the kiddos to go, we have to plan around her school vacations.